Influences & The Future

By Harsha
It's interesting to think about how much the present can affect our future.
How we react to things now will affect how we react to similar things later.
For example, peer pressure.
If we are able to deal with peer pressure now or if we think about how we want to react and live our lives in particular cases and situations, it'll be a bit easier in the future.
A simpler way of saying that is like what Patrice said:
"It's good to know what you want NOW when you don't have any pressures. That way when you are faced with pressures, you would have already thought things over and you don't really need to think of something on the spot."
That's really very true, especially for college.

I'm really excited and really nervous about college.
I'm excited to have that new found freedom and to meet new people. That free time to do whatever I want. That free time that I didn't have in high school. That freedom to establish myself as a person. That freedom to grow and expand my perspectives. That freedom to start afresh.
But..at the same time...I'm nervous.
I don't want to be influenced into doing things I'm not interested in doing, mainly drugs and alcohol. As much as some of my friends have already drank alcohol and they always say "it's not that bad if you have a bit", I don't want to have a bit. I don't want any. I don't want to be pressured into drinking it.
However, as Patrice said, "college is a time where you will be tested how firmly you stand with your values." If I really do not want to do drugs and alcohol, then I won't.
Regardless of what people think or say, that's how I'm willing to live my life.
If people are against it, so be it. I'll find others who don't mind or who even share the same mindset.

The future is an interesting thing. It depends entirely on the present.
What we feel now, what we do now, what we think now influence how we do those same actions tomorrow or the day after.
The future depends on today and I am thinking about it alot.
However, I haven't forgotten to live in the moment.
 

3 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous July 23, 2009 at 1:28 AM
    During orientation, one girl asked if they would be pressured to drink/do drugs at parties. The Orientation Leader answered that people actually don't pressure you and if you choose not to, that's okay. It's your own personal choice.


    With freedom, you have unlimited restraints. But sometimes those restraints will be tested when it comes to peer pressure. Just don't make a decision that you'll regret in the future. If you slip, then live up and man up to your actions.

    Your biggest judger is yourself. So make yourself proud.
  2. Anonymous July 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    Garrulous blowhard.
  3. Anonymous August 4, 2009 at 10:00 PM
    hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Something to say?