Nice Guys Finish Last...But They Shouldn't

By Harsha
My friend and I were talking and he really was down. He was sad about the fact that he's a nice guy and that girls appreciate that but never enough to like him back. I totally related to his issue. I still do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrnK-qPARYI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGeWGvDHTA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5lJL2peXik&feature=related

Those links are for a youtube series called "Just A Nice Guy".
They really sum the issues nice guys have really well.

"Might as well just go back to the way things were. She was a good friend and I'd rather have that than risk losing her for some stupid feelings I have for her."

"It was at this point when I felt what every nice guy fears the most: the time when you have to face the reality that the girl you like is interested in someone else and that she looked right past you. The girl you suppressed your feelings for just to preserve the friendship is now most likely going to go out with some new guy, a guy that doesn't know her as well as you do and probably won't treat her as well either."

"This is where most stories end with most guys because since they're so nice, they don't want to interfere, they don't want to put any emotional burden on their friend or cause any drama and so they watch her leave. I just tell myself that it wasn't meant to be. Why? Because I'm a nice guy."


Some quotes from there.
Forget about me for a sec. It still bugs me that nice guys like my friend don't get into relationships. They are nice, friendly, and they know the girl well. And they treat her well and they know how to treat her well. Yet, things don't always work out. At the end of that video series, I got a bit of hope from it. So did my friend.

"Guess some nice guys can finish first. It's just about finding the right girl and getting a little lucky."

We didn't get a lot of hope from it though. That quote really shows you how big this world is and how improbable it is for each nice guy to find that specific girl. I mean, I could search my whole life and never find her. I might have found her already. My friend could search and he might find her on his first try. The broadness of that statement really kinda dimmed our spirits (his more than mine because I'm used to this feeling). We could go our whole lives without finding the right person and experiencing true love. At that point, I noted something: most people for their life goals want to become a doctor or an astronaut or they want to own a store or live like a hermit or something usually physical. My life "goal" is to keep looking for that right girl and to make sure that if and when I find her, I'll sweep her off her feet. :)
 

1 comment so far.

  1. Tara January 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    who says finishing last is a bad thing? You may (or may not) find "that girl" after everyone else, but your relationship might be richer and more full than theirs. Love is one game in which finishing last does not mean you lose. :)

    also, I think when you stop looking for something, that's when you find it. Your girl will come when the time is right. You're still in high school...just enjoy your life and your second semester seniority and let things play out the way that they will. :)

    --Tara

Something to say?